Monday, January 19, 2009

A plane crashes

I was aboard a bus the night (at least in Seoul) that the US Airways flight 1549 crashed morning in Hudson River. I was absently looking at the television on the bus when a submerged airplane came on. It perked me up--that being a big deal to my work. Of course, I didn't understand a single thing as the news was in Korean. As I got to my hotel room the first thing I did was browse the net for news. Pretty soon enough Jack, my batchmate/workmate, had already sent a news excerpt to our Yahoo! groups email.

As flight attendants, we should have had been worried, scared even, that planes go crashing. But instead we were like, "OMG that was so good!" We were trained to evacuate a water landing, that's right, but history shows that water landings aren't actually that survivable. Especially for big aircrafts, a water landing could mean disaster as most big planes would break in half if the landing isn't very much controlled. The plane had to glide like paper before it hits the water or else it break and simply crash. The plane on flight 1549 is relatively small, but the pilot and crew did an excellent job. Every other flight attendant is sure wishing now to be able to be as calm as the crew on that flight if it becomes our turn to do our evacuation procedures.

Kudos to the crew of flight 1549 and more power to US Airways. :)

No comments: