Sunday, March 05, 2006

Novel: Bits and Pieces from Previous Days

Currently feeling: Bored
Listening to: My Immortal
Browsing: allsat.com

A few shifts ago I received this very unique call.
Me: Thank you for calling... [opening spiel]
Lady: Wait, I'm sorry to cut you off, but let me just inform you that this is a relay call... [her opening spiel]
So I thought maybe it's a phone poll or something like somebody wanting to interview a sales agent for thesis or research. Then she started asking if I have ever received a relay call. Answer's no. As it turns out, a relay call (or service) is one where in a third party calls in in behalf of another person with a hearing disability. The lady I'm talking to is the relay agent and she's typing up what I'm saying and waiting for the other person's reply (it's online chat, I suppose) and she'll run it down by me. Cool. Although I was not able to close the sale, I felt happy after the call since I was--in my opinion--very helpful to a disabled person since it took me about half an hour with the call (coz I have to speak slowly so that the relay agent could type everything up).

+ + +

During break, me and three batchmates went to KFC to grab a bite. We were happily eating when two of them, Hannah and Jal (both from UP Diliman), started chatting about Student Council elections, with their own opinions and rebuttals to each other coz they're from different frats and party. Then Philippe--Mr Law Student--joins the conversation since he's in a frat too. So there, they talked endlessly about politics and politics and politics, while I enjoyed my Fun Shots quietly. I never like talking about politics, especially with UP people. I believe you don't have to ask why.

+ + +

I was at school Saturday (straight from my shift) for the final exams in our Education 206 course. I was able to review and memorize some parts of the coverage of the exam since the shift preceding that was a boring one (got around just ten calls in 7hours!). But it doesn't help that I'm sleep deprived. Anyway--I'm drifting away from what I want to blog about!--while at the third floor lobby of our college building, there were so many chairs around since it's interview day for incoming students of the College of Education. Of course, lots of soon-to-be members of the Educ family. I was telling my classmate that these newbies are luckier than we were since now they have chairs while they're waiting for their turn. (During my time, we were on a very long queue, no chairs, nothing!) Then, out of the blue, music started playing over the PA system! I'm like, "lucky them, boredom minimized."

After one song, Sam Milby's Only You goes on air. Instinctively I rolled my eyes with matching shaking of the head in disgust. Whoever was behind the PA controls was reprimandable (by me!) for he looped the song; it played over the PA system for four times! Argh! Finally, after the fourth, it played another song--which was not any better: some shampoo commercial song that goes, "...straight na natural..." Argh! I could just figure what the incoming students are thinking: "Ang jologs naman nitong college na to!"

+ + +

We've been on mandatory schedule change and plotting of schedules was on a first come first serve basis, new schedule to be effective March 05. I was able to plot for the schedule I wanted (when some of my batchmates did, the slots they wanted were all filled up). And now, the effect date of the new sched, comes the confirmation of the plotted schedules. And it's a mess. For some, it's really frustrating. Take Lois for example, she plotted hers way before I did and in the email it said she did not. World War 5! All hell breaks loose!

+ + +

Since March 5 was the effect date of the new sched (and mine starts 12am, instead of the 1am before) I sort of fell short in catching up with my sleep. I got up by 7:30 (I planned to do so by 6!) and my phone displays the prompt: 5 missed calls. And it's a (no number) number (haha!) so it's no other than the one from China. That's the time I realized that it's a Saturday night, and it's boyfriend time! I got to my feet at once and snatched the laptop but my mom said she'd be bringing it somewhere and I'd have to use the desktop pc. Sure enough he's already online and had already sent me a message. Too bad we were not able to chat for more than an hour since I'd have to prepare myself for work. *sniff sniff*

+ + +

Speaking of him, I actually dreamt of him before I woke up and scampered towards the pc. And, he had just sent me a good pic of him with his parents. Just felt like saying. *blush* I just miss him so much that all through my travel time to work all I thought about was when am I gonna see him again. Should I apply for a Middle Eastern airline? But that would mean I'd be farther from China! More impossible to see him. *sigh*

+ + +

Speaking of airlines, I got the shock of my life when I read through a newspaper article that Cebu Pacific is celebrating their tenth year anniversary, and for that they're giving seats for domestic flights for PhP10.00++ only. Ten pesos! It's limited seats and just for one way fare, but hey, what the?! Check out the site for detail about the limited time offer promotion.

No comments: